Re: [Usability] group management (on a massive scale)

On Wed, 2009-10-14 at 10:08 -0700, Anthony Ettinger wrote:
> I have a requirement to create a user interface for managing large
> numbers of members and groups.
> I've seen a few examples on this list, but most of them break down
> when there is more than a handful of members to work with.
>
> The basic idea is that a user will be able to create a group (50
> groups on the high end), and assign members to one or more groups
> (needs to support 500 members on the high end).
>
> The other rub is that I want to be able to see all the groups that a
> member is associated with in the same interface used to manage the
> groups that a member belongs to.
>
> Could someone point me to any examples of such an interface, or offer any ideas?

Is this a matter of a tree where both members and groups need to be
visible, or where one or the other is visible?

The best example I can think of for this kind of UI is a double list
sidebar rather than a tree, something like this
http://nettuts.s3.amazonaws.com/103_NTPlus_AddressBook/res/inspiration.png

from apples address book.

BR,