Re: [Usability] Ideas for Usability Hackfest

On 7 Oct 2009, at 19:27, Máirín Duffy wrote:

It might be cool to build in some more user experience centric documentation right within the little demo app to talk about what kinds of data sets are best represented with this widget, which are not well-represented with it, and maybe provide the demos in a pattern-centric style navigation than a widget-centric navigation.

Yep, providing code snippets for the patterns is certainly something we thought would be a good idea in our initial ideas knockabout, and building on gtk-demo could certainly be one way to kick-start that particular aspect of the project.

Even if we don't end up doing it that way, your point about interactivity is a good one, and I think we'd probably want to think about how to provide some sort of animation/interactivity where appropriate even in a web-based pattern library. A few frames of animation is often all it takes to replace half a dozen paragraphs of descriptive text. (The downside, of course, is that it's not so good if you want to print out a particular pattern for reference...)

Cheeri,
Calum.

--
CALUM BENSON, Interaction Designer     Sun Microsystems Ireland
mailto:calum benson sun com            OpenSolaris Desktop Team