Re: [Usability] Tab implementation review

On Mon, 2009-02-09 at 19:22 -0500, Randall Wood wrote:

> - Perhaps the close button should be hidden when there is only a
> single tab?
>
> - Use Ctrl+{ / (Open brace) Ctrl+} (Close brace) to move between tabs

Please, avoid doing this. See:
http://developer.gnome.org/projects/gup/hig/1.0/userinput.html#shortcuts

I quote:
        Do not use symbols that require Shift or other modifiers as part
        of a shortcut, for example Ctrl-%. Remember that symbols that
        can be accessed without a modifier key on your keyboard may be
        more difficult to access on different international keyboards.

As a user of English, spanish, and latin-american keyboards, I am quite
sure this would be uncomfortable compared with ctrl+pgup/pgdn (which is
also a defacto standard). Please make sure that the shortcut can be used
with one hand (on some layouts, ctrl+{, which is ctrl+altgr+ç ) is hard
and the position of those keys move from brand to brand; also make sure
that the shortcuts to next/previous tab are close enough to do both
quickly with the same hand movement (to be able to "undo" quickly when
moving past the desired tab).

Regards,
   D.