Re: [Usability] Usability meeting minutes

Allan Day wrote:
On Wed, 2009-02-11 at 16:39 +0100, Andreas Nilsson wrote:
Andreas Nilsson wrote:
Calum Benson wrote:
I'd also really like to see more of the simple usability work done by developers.

Of course it would require some hand-holding/tutorials/whatever from experienced usability folks to start with, but really, it shouldn't be that hard to get everyone involved, testing early and often. Use paper prototypes, working prototypes, test with friends, relatives, students, user groups. Video the results if possible (but not essential). Collate the results on a suitable website (would need consent if participants were identifiable in videos.)

If somebody could write a *nix version of something like Silverback[4], that would be a great tool to have in our armoury, too. (Slight mixed metaphor there...)
I would really like to see a app like this on my GNOME Desktop and would probably try out some of our wacky stuff on my poor friends from time to time. Perhaps this would be a good opportunity to do some Design first - Code later. I totally regret that I never had the time or patience to learn how to program properly, but I hereby volunteer to do any graphics design needed (icons/website/whatever) for such a app.
[4] <http://silverbackapp.com/>
Here is a very basic version using gstreamer and istanbul:
http://www.andreasn.se/blog/?p=96
Please try it out on your poor friends and family!

Andreas, this is amazing! I've tried Pongo and it works brilliantly.
This tool has been sorely needed for some time.

I'll definitely be trying to do some user testing with this. Perhaps we
should work on some documentation explaining how to conduct user testing
using Pongo? I'd be happy to help with that.
Yes please! Please do!
I have have zero experience doing any kind of UI testing, so apart from the things I've read about UI testing in (boring) books, I have little idea how to conduit one.
I plotted down some ideas and stuff here:
http://live.gnome.org/Pongo
Also, a feature request. It would be good to have the option not to
record video from the webcam - this will be required if a research
participant requests to remain anonymous.
Sven added this in his git branch (or is about to), even though I'm not sure how much use one will have of tests where you're not able to see the participants face (but better than none at all I guess).
- Andreas