Re: [Usability] Tab implementation review

On Fri, 2009-02-13 at 15:00 +0000, Steve Fosdick wrote:
> On Thu, 2009-02-12 at 12:54 +0000, Allan Day wrote:
>
> > I agree that, in an ideal world, we wouldn't have tabs and we'd just
> > have really awesome window management instead. I'd also agree that
> > improving window management is important, and I would hope that, in the
> > future, window management gets so good that we don't need tabs any more.
> >
> > Whether we like it or not though, tabs are going to be around for a
> > while, if for no other reason than them being something that users
> > expect nowadays.
>
> With respect that seems a bit like saying that all women should wear
> blue dresses because the president's wife was seen wearing one.  There
> is no doubt that this kind of thinking does go on but it doesn't mean we
> have to indulge in it.
>
> If you mean that application designers are going to include tabs anyway
> because it is the latest fashion and, if they are so determined, then it
> is better that they are done consistently then that is a valid point.  I
> would still rather that any policy on tabs was qualified by saying that
> the best option would be to avoid them completely.
>
> Why avoid them?  With SDI applications the "icon bar" or "window list"
> which displays the documents you have open and also gives the option to
> restore/maximise/close serves the same purpose.
>
> If one has so many documents open that a two level hierarchy is required
> to manage them then workspaces as the higher level and windows as the
> lower level

And if you need or want 3 levels?  Weren't tabs Opera and Firefox's big
selling point, because your 30 open web pages would all be in one
window, many of the titles visible simultaneously (unlike in window
list), and without royally clogging up your alt+tab?

--
Mackenzie Morgan
apt-get moo