Re: [Usability] Reaching Users

On Thu, Dec 10, 2009 at 09:48:04AM +0000, kerberos piestar net wrote:
> Quoting Olav Vitters <olav bkor dhs org>:
>
> >>but few can contribute code - which seems to be the sole focus.
> >
> >In case you're not aware: Yes, it is a meritocracy. Don't see how this
> >is a sole problem of Free Software though.
>
> No closed source development project I have ever been involved in
> could ever be described as a meritocracy, unless you consider the
> ability to pay me as 'merit'.  If a project manager, tester or
> anyone else doesn't like something I have to fix it - it's not up to
> me.  Even when I have done independant contracts if the customer
> doesn't like something they generally just withold payment until
> it's fixed.  I simply don't have the option of saying no or ignoring
> user complaints - and to be honest the software is better for it.

The "Don't see how this is a sole problem of Free Software though" is a
response to the 'few can contribute code'. I do not consider
meritocracy to be a problem.

Your reply refers to my meritocracy statement. Further, you sometimes
mix a small software business with e.g. something like Microsoft. Makes
it a bit difficult to give responses.

> >Don't want to be negative, but I guess you have some pet peeve you want
> >fixed asap and nobody looked at it?
>
> My pet peeve is that despite grand gestures and statements the
> closest that any Linux distro has come to taking usability seriously
> is talking about a new theme.  It's been half a decade since I
> started talking about the serious usability problems in open source.

You're mixing distributions, GNOME and companies various times. I am
helping GNOME. My interest is not much wider than that.

--
Regards,
Olav