Re: [Usability] Gnome's biggest failure. By far. Stone-cold evil.

On Thu, Aug 20, 2009 at 12:01 PM, Olav Vitters<olav bkor dhs org> wrote:
> On Thu, Aug 20, 2009 at 11:46:12AM -0700, Jim March wrote:
>> To ignore this bug for 3+ years means that at a fundamental level,
>> Gnome doesn't care about that.
>
> Please don't forget about:
> http://live.gnome.org/CodeOfConduct
>  - "Assume people mean well"
>
> I know the author who currently maintains gnome-panel. The mentioned bug
> is very difficult to solve correctly. Further, there are loads of
> bugreports in all the modules he maintains. Still an annoying bug. But
> still: your statement to me comes across as very self-centered.

Look, I'm sorry...yesterday I had my panel scramble BIG right at a bad
time as I was doing a demo and I pretty much blew up.  Three years of
wrangling with this just...added up.

And as I'd assumed (correctly), there was already a full bug report.

The real solution is basically a small database, a set of entries
showing where stuff goes.  The "lock to panel" thing was likely an
attempted hack related to this issue (at least in part) and it hasn't
worked.