[Usability] Gnome's biggest failure. By far. Stone-cold evil.

Folks,

I'm writing this after watching this same bug drive me nuts since I
first ran Linux in September of 2006 (Ubuntu Dapper).  At the moment
I'm running Ubuntu Karmic Alpha 4 and the same bug just walloped me
hard.

Why can't panel items stay put even if something re-sizes the desktop
(resolution) smaller and then I move it back up?  And please do NOT
tell me "lock to panel" works.  Don't even.

Sounds silly, right?  But I'm about ready to abandon Gnome over it.
And I can't be the only one pissed off.

OK.  When I install a Gnome-based system, first thing I do is lay out
the upper panel.  I put things in certain places...standard menus are
top-left, then some frequently used apps, then at the upper right
various "utility items" such as trash, show desktop, search, system
monitor, date'n'time, etc.  Having all that stuff in their places
helps me work smoother and faster - I don't need to search around, I
know where stuff is.

My laptop runs 1280x800 resolution.  I just ran an app that seems to
have re-sized me a lot smaller while it was running - 800x600 at a
guess.  When I came back out, resolution went back to normal but my
panel is absolutely scrambled to hell and gone.

PLEASE, for the love of God, there has to be a fix for this?  It's
intolerable.  And after three years that I know of and likely over
double that with this insane glitch, there's just no excuse.

End the madness?  Please?

Jim March - just a poor user...