Re: [Usability] GNOME Command line interface

Hello SzG,

On Fri, 2009-08-07 at 08:36 +0200, SzG wrote:
> I'm new to the Unix/Linux world, but I find it extremely fun.
Thats nice to hear :)

> All I am missing from Windows is the "start" command, which can not only
> open URLs in the preferred application, but start programs as well in a
> fully detached window.
DISCLAIMER: I don't know the "start" command and I ever used it. So I can't miss it ;)

> I was searching for something similar for Linux/Gnome/Ubuntu, but all I
> found was gnome-open. Works with URLs but not with programs. And it's
> not documented. I found it on a blog-post and, regarding the number of
> ecstatic comments, it could be an interesting Usability topic.
>
> So I wrote my own "go" command, which can handle programs as well.
> Please see
> http://linux.subogero.com/?p=146
> http://linux.subogero.com/?page_id=153
>
> Do you think it is a good idea?

I work on the command line a lot and also interact between command line
and not command line as well a lot. So I just summarize my personal
workflow here, I don't say its perfect or anything.

The use-cases

- “start” without arguments will open a new terminal window.

I do this via alt-f3 (a short cut for opening a new terminal window).
Its the same if I already got a terminal open or not.

Or strg+shift+n or strg+shift+t if I want a new terminal with the same
working directory as the current terminal. Also nautilus "open terminal
here" is quite useful. Or drag 'n' drop of folder or files into a
terminal.

- “start” with a CLI program as an argument will open it in a new fully
   independent terminal window.

I just strg+shift+t ./program
Anyway I don't often open a cli program in a new terminal.

- “start” with a Windows program as an argument will open just that in
  a fully independent window.

alt+f2 or gnome-do for normal programs or just the name of the program
into the terminal "foo" is shorter than "start foo"

- “start” with a file or URL as an argument will open it with the
   preferred application.

just like gnome-open, got an alias "o" for gnome-open as its less to
type :)

--
Florian Ludwig <dino phidev org>