[Usability] GNOME Command line interface

I'm new to the Unix/Linux world, but I find it extremely fun.
All I am missing from Windows is the "start" command, which can not only open URLs in the preferred application, but start programs as well in a fully detached window.

I was searching for something similar for Linux/Gnome/Ubuntu, but all I found was gnome-open. Works with URLs but not with programs. And it's not documented. I found it on a blog-post and, regarding the number of ecstatic comments, it could be an interesting Usability topic.

So I wrote my own "go" command, which can handle programs as well.
Please see
http://linux.subogero.com/?p=146
http://linux.subogero.com/?page_id=153

Do you think it is a good idea?