Re: [Usability] New Menubars

On Wed, Apr 15, 2009 at 11:56 AM, Diego Moya <turingt gmail com> wrote:
[...]
> Notice that when you allow users to type the first letters of a
> command, it looks more and more like a Command Line Interface. Your
> idea extends naturally to create a whole support for commands, not
> just for displaying them but for introducing parameters and showing
> immediate feedback (autocomplete, suggestions, preview results...)

For example, you can use commands with parameters to set preferences.
Is that what you had in mind? I can't think how else parameters would
be useful.

I would suggest that we start simple, otherwise there is a good chance
that it won't be implemented. Simple search for menu names (and
descriptions) would hugely improve ease of use, especially for large
programs like Gimp.

> [...] The
> solution to this problem found in your proposal is a nice feature, and
> it could be a good improvement over a complete CLI system for the
> Gnome Shell built following the Ubiquity and Quicksilver models.

What do you mean by "Gnome shell"? To me it means Nautilus. But that
is just one program; why not create a mechanism that works
automatically for all Gnome programs?