[Usability] Rhythmbox: Why does unpressing play feel so awkward when you want to pause the music?

I've been using Rhythmbox for quite a while, and yet it still feels just as awkward unpressing play, and even more awkward unchecking play in the tray context menu. I know not everyone agrees on this issue.

I've seen the argument for keeping pause out of it repeated time and time again, however, I'm just seeking reasons as to why it still feels awkward for me to toggle play.

Could my prior use of other media players seriously be this deeply ingrained in my head? I'm doubtful. What are the other possibilities?

It may be awkward because "play" is a transitive verb. I'm not sure though.