Re: [Usability] Prototyping the next generation panel

On Nov 7, 2008, at 6:57 PM, Jacob Beauregard wrote:
Would you consider this practical?:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j_lxBwvf3Vk

I really wouldn't. I don't think I should have to worry about managing files at all, never mind on my desktop. You've also got a problem in the model with the preconceived notion that a desktop contains files and shortcuts. This shows that even someone with an experimental perspective can be hindered by sticky preconceptions. What I'm trying to get at is that the question isn't necessarily how do you use your desktop, but in what ways can you use your desktop outside of the boundaries of what's already defined that would make it more useful to you.

Be careful to remember that a computer having "a desktop" is also a preconceived notion. It dates from the era when almost everything people did on a computer was deal with documents: get them out of a folder and put them on the desktop while working on them, save them and/or print them, and then return them ("Put Away") to their previous folder.

But now we use PCs to handle e-mail, movies, instant messages, music in vast quantities, audio calls, weather updates, games, photos, models of the earth and the sky, IRC channels, news, family trees, book collections, Web pages, and many other things that make little sense on "a desktop". Individual applications may help me organize individual items in this list, but computers don't seem to help me much in organizing overall projects or activities.

Take a simple example of "things that need doing". I have a "To do" folder containing various files and Web shortcuts for things I need to deal with. I have a "To do" e-mail folder containing messages describing tasks I need to work on (and then reply to). I have a text file listing other things I need to work on. And I have a list of to-dos on the Web, which in my case is a list of bugs assigned to me. Why can't the computer help me arrange this into a single, non-duplicating list that's categorized by topic instead of by medium?

Cheers
--
Matthew Paul Thomas
http://mpt.net.nz/