Re: [Usability] File operations dialog redesign

I agree, I think d&d would be really cool, and elegant, etc, but entirely overkill.  I think the "Pause all others" idea actually suits the use case well, without treading into download manager territory.  The re-prioritizing via d&d also implies some kind of throttling, whereas in reality I think it is more likely to just be a pause of everything else.

I agree it should not be visible by default - it is not the typical flow of things.  I might reword the command to something less indirect and more direct: "click here to affect everything else" might better be worded as "do this one first" for example.  When I click something, the associated "thing" should be the recipient of the action, not everything else.  That way when I choose something I don't have to do reverse math (like playing minefield almost).

Could we use some kind of metaphor like stat in a medical sense, or courier shipping options (next day versus 3-5 business days), or some other mental model to make it clear what this is doing?  Just throwing early-morning ideas out there.

Kirk