Re: [Usability] time stamps and privacy

Shaun McCance wrote:
Frankly, if you have sensitive data on a portable drive,
you should really encrypt that drive.

tell that to digital camera manufacturers. IIRC Nikon and a few other manufacturers do encrypt part of their RAW files, but that's only a pathetic attempt to conceal some esoteric settings that are meant to yield better images than the competition.

The "portable drive" in question is a compact flash straight out of the digital camera, encryption not under user control. Besides, I am happy the images as such are not encrypted. If they were the first consequence would be to hamper interoperability with Linux (given how cooperative most camera manufacturers are).

Nautilus
should never ever ever create thumbnails of files on an
encrypted volume and store them on another volume.  Nor
should Beagle or Tracker create indexes of files on an
encrypted volume and store them elsewhere.  et cetera.

Good thinking. No need to treat non-encrypted volumes differently. the user has decided - explicitly or implicitly - to put the file on a specific volume. this choice should apply by default also to all related metadata including thumbs, unless there is a very good reason to override this choice in which case the user should be at least informed on first use (don't expect the user to be aware of design decisions that make Gnome different than mainstream desktops) and given finer grained control. Right now I can only tell Nautilus not to create thumbnails at all - even just a choice by volume type (local/network/removable) would be a massive improvement.

Yes, I know, next thing you will tell me to submit a patch. I wish I could. My coding skills are close to zero and I don't know Gnome's codebase at all. I would not even know were to start. And my time is limited. I can do analysis if that can be of use.

Yuv