Re: [Usability] time stamps and privacy

I'm just not seeing what the problem is... I insert a camera's SD card into my computer, then remove it. The other users on my computer can't see the thumbnails unless they have root access... in which case them seeing my thumbnails is hardly anything to worry about.
If someone inserts removable media into the machine while I'm logged in, it's their problem that they didn't check to see who was logged in.
On Tue, 2008-03-25 at 17:47 -0400, Yuval Levy wrote:
Caleb Marcus wrote:
> So? Only root can do that... I don't see the problem.

the kind of answer that attracts sympathy and new users.

> On Tue, 2008-03-25 at 14:49 -0600, Kevin D. Carlson wrote:
>> I would assume they're referring to the fact that you can (with root
>> access) look at any image that exists in any folder that the user has
>> loaded in Nautilus. Even if they didn't look at it, it's still there.

No, it is not only with root access. It is with user access. Permission
is irrelevant to the problem. Most of these removable media come
straight out of digital cameras that use FAT.

The problem in the first place is the creation of thumbnails in any
other place than the same folder (with the same permissions, if
applicable) as the originals.

What happens if ten users access the same images from a network drive?
Just another consequence...

The right design is to keep the thumbs on the same media where the
originals are (and if applicable with same permissions as far as
user/root access is concerned).

And another right design decision would be that drag and drop behaves
like cp -p.

Yuv