[Usability] time stamps and privacy

Hi all,

I am not sure if this is the right place to discuss these two issues, but I feel they are important enough. As a tentative convert from Windows (still dual booting, though with an increasingly share on the Ubuntu/Gnome side of the divide) I have come across two potential deal killers:

time stamps: I know I can use cp -p, but is there a similar functionality in Nautilus? and if there is, why isn't it default?
<http://panospace.wordpress.com/2008/03/24/i-want-my-time-stamps-back/>

privacy: making thumbnails of every inserted media to a folder in the user's home folder is a privacy breach. are those making the design decisions aware of it? if so, has there been a discussion of the benefits, alternatives and trade-offs? is there an option I am not aware of to disable thumbnail caching for some or all media?
<http://panospace.wordpress.com/2008/03/24/i-want-my-privacy-back/>

thanks
Yuv