Re: [Usability] inability to experiment

Matthew Nuzum wrote on 28/05/08 15:27:
> I propose a change to the interface guidelines that _suggest_ a
> "revert" or "undo" button be added to dialogues that affect user
> changes instantly (which is the common way now).
> In either case, the "revert" or "undo" button on dialogues should
> appear at the bottom right of the dialogue to the left of the "Close"
> button [1]. The "revert" or "undo" should _not_ be the default
> selected button. If an application developer deems it useful to
> include "undo" and "revert" both then "revert" should be at the bottom
> of the dialogue to the left of the close button and the "undo" button
> should be in the toolbar or drop down menu.
> [1] Example button placement: http://code.bearfruit.org/~matt/tmp/Dialogue.png

Instant-apply windows currently have two Close buttons, which causes
dither (which one should I click? do they do different things?), defeats
the mental model that a window with a row of rectangular buttons along
the bottom is probably modal, and misleads people into thinking that
changes won't be instant when they actually are.

I think adding another button immediately to the left of the "Close"
button would make these problems worse: the window would look even more
like a dialog, just with strangely worded buttons. So people would click
"Revert", and wonder why the window didn't close like it does when they
click "Cancel".

Cheers
--
Matthew Paul Thomas