Re: [Usability] Okay - Usability Problems

Hello André,

Ideally, I think the open / save dialog should be handled by the default file manager, rather than by a GTK composite widget. As it is, there are a lot of usability issues there because that composite widget will never behave like Nautilus unless it is Nautilus. Users expect it to be Nautilus, because in their view (and rightly so!) File Management is done by Nautilus. It would be dumb for a desktop environment to have two file managers, and that is very much what we have here. (Especially if that open/save dialog gains the power to move, copy and delete files).

Is it possible, within the existing infrastructure, to have that dialog smoothly dealt with by another program? (Something like Bonobo Controls ring a bell, but I am still trying to figure out what those are being replaced by). I'm thinking the GTK widget (within GTK) would still have to be replaced with something else, with the change being that the "something else" runs the file manager with a standard command line arg., instead of building the dialog itself, and somehow gets an output. It would be a big change, but I think it would solve about half of the problems people have with GNOME.

Bye,
-Dylan McCall