Re: [Usability] default titlebar button layout [was: preferences

On May 23, 2007, at 1:48 PM, Jacob Beauregard wrote:
On Tuesday 22 May 2007 20:45:41 Matthew Paul Thomas wrote:

Because the ease of doing anything in an interface should be
proportional to how many people want to do it, how often they want to
do it, how urgently they want to do it, and the average benefit of
doing it.

With rearranging title bar buttons, hardly anyone wants to, those who
do typically do it only once, it's never urgent, and the benefit is not great. Given that, it's remarkable that it doesn't even require
recompiling.

I've already explained why the benefit is great for me.

Yes, you have, which is why you're here. Meanwhile, the vast majority of other Gnome users are getting actual work done.

On a constructive note, if you are now motivated to even the effort slope a bit by developing your own TweakUI-like utility for options like that, I'm sure others would be interested.

It helps me perform organizational strategies in a restricted environment. The ease of doing so is one of the biggest reasons I prefer KDE to GNOME.

And conversely, the lack of such prominent geekery is part of the reason revenue-seeking Linux distributors prefer Gnome to KDE.

There is one major problem with what you are saying: Apart from the fact people rarely change any preferences, if specific functionality is not available via settings, users often expect that it doesn't exist.

Most functions of *any* graphical program aren't available via its settings.

If I asked my mom to perform the task of moving the buttons from the top-right of the window to the top-left of the window, she wouldn't know how to do it. She would probably spend a half hour in the preferences menu bar looking for things that might be able to do it.

I admire your mother's tenacity, but for goodness sake, don't you and she both have more interesting things to do? :-)

--
Matthew Paul Thomas
http://mpt.net.nz/