Re: [Usability] Usability Digest, Vol 33, Issue 23

Hi again Ethan,

On Thu, 2007-01-18 at 17:12 -0600, Ethan Anderson wrote:
> The settings I'm proposing would simply go under desktop properties.
> This may be possible via Devil's pie, many thanks for the link, but I
> believe many people just don't know what they're missing.  That said,
> with the current state of things, Devil's pie should be bundled with
> all major distros in my opinion.  It looks pretty sweet.

As this is a feature request, you should probably file a bug [1] against
metacity (the GNOME window manager).

Concerning the implementation; some windows don't work well when
maximised (such as the GIMP tool palette). How would these be handled?
Also, what sort of an impact would this have on drag'n'drop between
applications?

[...]
> And as for settings, you cannot give the user too much power.  You can
> only go about it wrong.  If settings are organized correctly, the can
> give users a sense of power they've never had before.  Maybe even a
> sense of awe.  I mean, what are we trying to show people?  Look how
> well I can hack my machine, or look what Linux can do for you?  the
> latter, I hope.

Thanks,

Phil

[1] - http://bugzilla.gnome.org/simple-bug-guide.cgi