Re: [Usability] Usability Digest, Vol 33, Issue 23

What we need is a feature that lets the user set a desktop mode or property such that all windows are maximised by default, and whenever focus is put on one window, the other windows are minimized.  A feature.  That simple.  All too often, I have to do that myself.  And then, transparency looks ugly.  It could be quite elgant with that simple set of preferences.

Please do this.  You can never regret giving the user an option.
Defaults, however, can vary by distro.  We should make "orange", where everything is layed out for elegance and speed.  To counter apple's macs, of course.  Maybe that's just ubuntu.

Still, can anyone deny that this feature is a good idea?  Looks like this:
Settings preset one: "Workstation mode"
<X> enable single-window mode
<X> maximise all frames by default

Then, the user could switch between settings sets as well.  Like, settings themes.  Imagine that.  Enable Windows settings theme, or enable Mac settings theme.  A good platform is chameleon.
That is flexibility and power.