Re: [Usability] HIG Compliance help

On Mon, 15 Jan 2007, Michael D. Wise wrote:

> Date: Mon, 15 Jan 2007 15:46:57 -0600
> From: Michael D. Wise <micwise bellsouth net>
> To: usability gnome org
> Subject: [Usability] HIG Compliance help
>
> I am trying to redo some of the dialogs in GnuCash to be more HIG
> compliant in order to help out and do what I can.  I don't know if I'm
> being too picky or not.  I've attached a shot of the redone dialog
> and I would appreciate some critique.  Some of my questions are:
>
> 1. Does there need to be a border between the edge of the dialog box and
> the notebook.
>
> 2. What's the best way to get the proper spacing between the sections
> (i.e. Identification and Billing Address)
>
> I would appreciate any help as I'm just begging to learn.

Thanks for providing the screenshot.  The first thing that jumps out at me
is the height of the dialog
gnucash.png (PNG Image, 352x645 pixels):

take into account the panels a user might have and the dialog might be
problematic.  if you have already warned users that Gnucash is unsuitable
for displays of 1024x768 or smaller you might avoid user complaints but
there is no reason to exclude users if it can be avoided (and there are
more and more portable devices with smaller displays you might later want
to run your application on).

on a more technical side if you can fill in the address details
automatically using the address information available elsewhere in gnome
it would certainly make life easier for users.

the spacing isn't exactly right but very good start, inside the tab you
probably need more padding.

hopefully others more familiar with Gnucash can give you a more thorough
analysis based on the context but hopefully my quick comments will be of
some help.

--
Alan