Re: [Usability] "Correct" Windows, KDE button order? (was: Re: alternative button order: Why don't we auto-guess the alternative order by default if appropriate?)

I'm missing part of the conversation, but is this  Portland Project
discussion?

I know KDE and Gnome do it differently (OK/Cancel, Cancel/OK) for their
respective reasons (ie, afaik they didnt just make it up and it didnt just
happen that way).  The same for the position of Help, Defaults, Apply, etc.

Is there a standard published on FreeDesktop about this?  That is the place
where, once a decision is made, it should be published.  However, I do not
think it is necessary for either Gnome and KDE to change the order they
display buttons, those are differences in the environments they have chosen
to make.

Also, the KDE documentation cited is from 2.0, we're currently working on 4.0
and 3.0 is much more relevant.  I don't forsee the button order changing,
only maybe the alignment and orientation in certain circumstances.

The KDE 4 HIG draft has been relocated, however there isn't much content (only
one person working on it atm).

~ C

Celeste Lyn Paul
KDE Usability Project