Re: [Usability] GTK ComboBox

On Mon, Apr 16, 2007 at 07:06:00PM -0400, Jacob Beauregard wrote:

> Their behavior is set to put the default option under the mouse, correct?
>
> However, there are many, many instances in which visibility and availability
> of many other options is more important than the default option being readily
> available.

Never thought of this behaviour as being about making the current option
readily available, but well, it does.
I would think it's also about a more "physical" feel of the widget.
Like a mechanism where you slide a plate through a slot.
The way from one option to another remains the same.

I guess the alternative would be to center the menu, unless an offset is
needed to keep it on the screen if the combo box is close to top or bottom.

The offset could be combined with the keeping-current-option-in-place
behaviour for all non-edge situations, even.

There must have been studies about this.
Anyone knows of some or has a link, even?

--
Thorsten Wilms

Thorwil's Design for Free Software:
http://thorwil.wordpress.com