Re: [Usability] Drive applet by default

On Thu, 2006-09-14 at 14:05 +0200, Isak Savo wrote:
> 2006/9/14, David Prieto <frandavid100 gmail com>:
> > El jue, 14-09-2006 a las 08:12 -0300, Thiago Ribeiro escribió:
> > > I'm talking about the usb devices... pen drive... exactly.. :)
> >
> > This lacked any kind of notification in previous gnome versions, which
> > led to data loss because of people pulling their pen drives while in
> > use, but it's supposed to be fixed now.
> >
> > Maybe you mean a whole different problem?
>
> I think he's talking about the fact that when you "unmount" a USB
> device in windows, the devices are often turning off their leds to
> indicate that they are now turned off.

This is a bit of a technical spinoff, but the device *should* turn their
lights off if the software is written properly. Note that "umount" does
not turn off the device, but "eject" does (by sending the ioctl
CDROM_EJECT, to any device and not just cdroms ). I am not sure if that
is a bug to submit at nautilus, gnome-device-manager, pumount or what,
but if any of you knows, please do

Regards,
	Daniel

--
"Why program by hand in five days what you can spend five years of your
life automating."