Re: [Usability] Drive applet by default

On Thu, 2006-09-14 at 10:04 +0100, Ross Burton wrote:
> On Thu, 2006-09-14 at 10:44 +0200, David Prieto wrote:
> > I've noticed that some people coming from windows have trouble removing
> > USB devices and the like, because they don't quite know what to do to
> > "safely remove the device".
>
> How feasible would it be to add an Eject icon to the removable drive
> menu entries under Places?  Split the menu item into two so that
> clicking the main icon and text opens the device in Nautilus as usual,
> but there is an eject icon on the far right.
>
> This may be crack and the usability team might burn me down for this of
> course... :)

Indeed. ;)

Why don't we just put an icon in the tray always, to unmount media, stop
pcmcia devices, and other nifty things like that, the same as Windows
does? The latter of those two problems still isn't solved in the
desktop. We need an easy way to stop pcmcia devices so that they can be
removed from the slot, as well. A generic tray icon to deal with all the
devices that need this functionality would be quite nice to have.

-- dobey