Re: [Usability] spatial desktop

On 9/15/06, Olaf van der Spek <olafvdspek gmail com> wrote:
I'd like to be able to have two applications/windows on the desktop at
the same time (one left, one right) with the same document open.
Limiting yourself to a single view should not be done.

I believe that multiple views of the same object should be a feature
provided by the application when it is useful. The difference to
allowing multiple instances of the same object is, that accessing the
object again (for example by clicking its desktop icon) would bring
all existing views to the front instead of creating yet another one.

I also believe that we should always allow a single object to be open
in more than one application (handler) at the same time. I could
imagine interfaces where data objects and tools are separated, but
none that could be realistically implemented anytime soon.

Daniel