Re: [Usability] Real progress screen for file-roller (Gnome Archive Manager)

On Sun, 2006-09-10 at 15:32 -0400, Saad Shakhshir wrote:
> This is not the case.  At least not for .rar files.  I have just
> tested extraction of a large rar archive and the Gnome Archive Manager
> provides just the 'busy' dialog that I described earlier without a
> true progress bar.  From the command line doing a simple 'rar x
> test.rar' I was shown a percentage indicator while the contents of the
> archive were being extracted.  Screenshot below.
>
> http://img127.imageshack.us/img127/3761/screenshotyakuakeqk8.png

That sort of thing is incredibly hard for File Roller
to parse and use.  That text is written directly to the
tty, rather than printed to stdout.  File Roller would
have to jump through some hoops to get that data, and
even then it would be very error-prone.

Command line front-ends pretty much suck by nature.
A well-written library for archive files would allow
us to have a much better program.

--
Shaun