Re: [Usability] Disabled "F"word guessing :)

On Fri, 8 Sep 2006, Jason (spot) Brower wrote:

> Date: Fri, 8 Sep 2006 15:03:37 +0300
> From: "Jason (spot) Brower" <encompass gmail com>
> To: usability gnome org
> Subject: [Usability] Disabled "F"word guessing :)
>
> Not sure if this is the right place, but I have an idea for people that
> can't type very fast or accurately.
> My friend has MD and a very hard time hitting every key to make a word on

MD?  Medical Degree?

(I'm guessing muscular dystrophy?  I have enough difficulty with computer
acronyms, medical acronyms are even more difficult to guess.)

> the screen.  Wouldn't it be nice to have something that she could use that
> would give options for words and somehow predict what she wants.

Have you tried dasher?
http://www.inference.phy.cam.ac.uk/dasher/

I wish I knew more about the various accessibility software for Gnome but
hopefully others can make better suggetions.

> Could he have a system that would... when you begin typing show the words on
> the screen that it things you are typing and you can select on of the four
> words it provides from the list to speed up your data entry and make typing
> less stressful?

gedit does include tags plugins so if your friend was frequently typing
difficult techinical terms you could probably make a list of them to cut
down on the repetative typing.  there may be other predictive text systems
or autocomplete options but I am not as familiar with them as I might
like.

Speech to text software might be another option to consider.

--
Alan H