Re: [Usability] gnome-screensaver configuration (or lack therof)

On Saturday 30 September 2006 03:49 pm, Martin Ejdestig
(marejde gmail com) spake thusly:

> On Sat, 2006-09-30 at 22:49 +0100, Joachim Noreiko wrote:
>> --- Elijah Newren <newren gmail com> wrote:
>> > You are more than welcome to write your own or fork
>> > gnome-screensaver.
>> >  The GPL is designed to allow those who disagree
>> > with the direction of
>> > a project to take it a new direction.
>>
>> That's not a very helpful answer.
>
> Well, it's true.

It's still not helpful. In fact it's a bit arrogant and makes a lot of
assumptons about the person(s) disagreeing.

>> The deeper problem is this:
>> If I understand correctly, each module in gnome's cvs
>> is its own private kingdom. There is no way for this
>> list or anyone else to compel the maintainer to do
>> something about this particular problem with
>> screensaver options. (Or in fact the problem of the
>> truly horrendous label text -- see archives from
>> shortly before the 2.12 release.)
>
> If you bring a sound rationale to the table the maintainer ought to be
> willing to listen. "It doesn't work as it used to so therefore it is
> broken" usually isn't a good rationale. (See link to what Havoc
> Pennington's has written down about this in my reply to Scott.)

Aah but you forget the mainteiners rationale.  It makes absoutly no
sense.  If you read my original message in this thread, I quoted it.

> Also, neither you nor Scott seem to have read (or understood?) what
> the maintainer has to say on the issue.

What part was I missing?  I read his response, I read the FAQ and I
responded to it.

>> Yet we're trying to build a coherent desktop.
>
> So, the ones who complain the loudest and aren't even willing to help
> should dictate the direction of the project? Ever heard of
> meritocracy?

So basicalky, users are to accept what developers do and keep quiet.
Users must learn to code if they are to report bugs.

Whatever....

        Scott
http://angrykeyboarder.com
© 2006 angrykeyboarder™ & Elmer Fudd. All Wights Wesewved