Re: [Usability] gnome-screensaver configuration (or lack therof)

On Saturday 30 September 2006 08:56 pm, Alan Horkan
(horkana maths tcd ie) spake thusly:

> On Sun, 1 Oct 2006, Martin Ejdestig wrote:
>
>> Date: Sun, 01 Oct 2006 00:49:43 +0200
>> From: Martin Ejdestig <marejde gmail com>
>> To: Joachim Noreiko <jnoreiko yahoo com>
>> Cc: usability gnome org, Scott <geekboy angrykeyboarder com>
>> Subject: Re: [Usability] gnome-screensaver configuration (or lack
>> therof)

>> > That's not a very helpful answer.
>>
>> Well, it's true.
>
> Please refrain from such antagonistic behaviour.
>
> I think we can safely say RTFM and suggesting a fork are responses
> which almost go without saying should be used only as a last resort,
> and perhaps are less helpful than no
> response at all.

A fork was suggested in the bug.  The maitainer didn't seem to think
this was a good idea....

> If the submitter could be more specific about which exacty screensave
> he wants to configure we might be able to sugges an alternative
> approach. (The image slideshow screensaver might be an example of a
> screensaver which really doesn't need to be configured.)

I had no specific screensaver in mind.  If you haven't already, install
X-Screensaver and take a look at the screensavers there.  There are
options for most, if not all of them as far as configuration (colors,
number of blobs/stars/shapes/spkies/cows/ants/spaceships.....).  This
is not unlike screensavers in KDE as well as Microsoft Windows and
Apple Mac OS.  It's been "standard" for ages.

I found an interim (or possibly permanent) workaround though.

Details at http://www.kde.org.

As time goes by it seems more and more as if Linus really *did* know
what he was talking about..

"This 'users are idiots, and are confused by functionality' mentality of
Gnome is a disease. If you think your users are idiots, only idiots will
use it. I don't use Gnome, because in striving to be simple, it has long
since reached the point where it simply doesn't do what I need it to do.

Please, just tell people to use KDE."

- Linus Torvalds
http://mail.gnome.org/archives/usability/2005-December/msg00021.html

--