Re: [Usability] Find and Search [was: new search/replace dialog proposal for gedit]

Quoting Calum Benson <Calum Benson Sun COM>:

On Fri, 2006-11-10 at 21:43 +0000, Joachim Noreiko wrote:
--- Sebastian Heinlein <glatzor ubuntu com> wrote:

> Am Donnerstag, den 09.11.2006, 12:38 -0800 schrieb
> Matthew Paul Thomas:
> > *   "Find" is a more positive name than "Search".
>
> Find is used for a search that only covers the
> currently opened data
> set, e.g. a search in a web page or abiword
> document. If you also access
> external data, the term search should be used.

I've often wondered about the difference between the
two terms, if any.
Is that the official definition?

The HIG does make this distinction (see Table 4.8):
http://developer.gnome.org/projects/gup/hig/2.0/menus-standard.html#menu-standard-edit

but I've always been a bit wary of it.  I'm not convinced the difference
matters to most users, and I'd guess the subtlety it doesn't translate
very well to some languages either.

Hello,

in German both terms are translated equally.

What makes me worry a little bit is the new term "filter" introduced in Novell's
slab. I am not sure if it's a good decision to also use this therm in the new
control center, since this would result in 3 terms for the same or nearly the
same functionality.

Cheers,

Sebastian