[Usability] Logging Out - Still a bit of a mess

When logging out from Gnome is is reasonably common to see applications
suddenly appear on the screen which had previously been hidden (minimised
or on a different workspace).  These applications don't usually get a chance
to fully re-draw their windows but the whole think looks a mess and a bit
unprofessional.

To me, ideally, if an application is not going to prompt to save unsaved
work it should exit silently without reappearing on the screen.  Do people
agree with this?

Looking into the technical details I reckon the reason this happens is
because the window manager quits before the application(s) concerned.  As
the window manager manages things like desktops and the minimised state,
as soon as it exists, all application windows get mapped.

If my understanding is correct, what we would ideally do is to arrange things
so the window manager is recogised as that and not just another application in
the session so it can be kept alive until all the other applications (except
the session manager) have quit.

This should look cleaner and more professional.

What do people think?

Steve.