Re: [Usability] Resizability of windows

Matthew Paul Thomas wrote:

[...]
Having said all that, I don't understand why the Theme Preferences window is not a dialog and is resizable, but doesn't become maximizable automatically. That looks like too much flexibility in Metacity.
I think the problem here is the theme preferences is a dialog *and* it is resizable. If it where a normal window, I think everyone would be agreed it should have a maximise button. If it where just a dialog window, it would not be resizable, and therefore there would be no question about a maximise button. We ought then to decide if it is a normal window or a dialog.

Different languages will have different string lengths and accessibility themes will have different font sizes so if your user interface will not resize nicely it is BROKEN by design.

But if someone *needs* to resize a window to see all the text, it is broken just as much.

If this can be fixed, then we could make the theme preferences window non-resizable, and we would have a proper dialog window again. What would be the ideal size of a fixed size theme preference dialog? I assume nothing bigger than 640x480 would be a first rule, unless it dynamically chose a size of x% of the screen width and height. Any thoughts?

-Thomas