[Usability] Re: Mute in GNOME mixer applet does not have correct behavior

Rodney Dawes wrote:

> And other than the case where a non-GNOME application is setting the
> volume on the hardware itself to 0, how many people are really going to
> hold down the lower volume key, rather than just pressing mute? Another
> thing we need to do, is to make it easy to mute the volume, from the
> mixer applet's pop-up. I think it's the main thing that causes people to
> drag the volume to 0.

Everyone here seems to be assuming that people have a "mute" key ("just
pressing mute"), but not everyone does.  For me it is easier to mute the
audio system by using the scroll wheel (two scrolls -- not two clicks of
the scroll wheel though) than to right-click on the applet and choose
"mute" (no comment on the usefulness of the Ctrl-M keyboard shortcut.)

In addition, I don't find the drag slider to be very useful because it
doesn't give much precision -- the dragable portion is very large, so
figuring out where the volume is set at a given position is pretty
difficult. Having a percent display tooltip when using the slider would
help, as would altering the slider so that you can tell visually where
it is on the bar.

Would it work to have the slider have a "detent" at the bottom of the
normal volume range that it could "snap over" to mute?  Scrolling would
then work as it is, the slider would drag down to minimal volume, and
then there'd be something like a reverse snap-to to drag it down to
mute.  This may require further explanation...

-Alex Mauer "hawke"
--
Bad - You get pulled over for doing 90 in a school zone and you're drunk
off your ass again at three in the afternoon.