[Usability] Re: Mouse actions

Hi,

Joachim Noreiko wrote:
Another vocab question:

The User Guide section 'Basic Skills' lists things it
calls 'Mouse actions': click, double-click, drag, etc.

Aren't these 'gestures' or 'atoms' that are used to compose real actions.

But then it says:

You can perform the following actions with the mouse:
Left mouse button
        * Select text.
This is "mouse-down | drag | mouse up"

        * Select items.
This is "click"
        * Drag items.
This is like select
        * Activate items.
This is double-click

So we have actions you perform with the mouse, like
clicking... which you use to perform more actions,
like selecting.

It seems to me there's two levels involved here: 1. physical things you do with the mouse
2. how you use those to interact with the GUI.

Can anyone think of better words for these than using
'actions' twice?

So the "Mouse actions" describes the usage of the mouse as such and the later how to apply the Mouse actions to items in the user interface. Thus maybe the first can be labeld "Mouse functions:" and the later "Mouse actions:".

Stefan