Re: [Usability] Mute in GNOME mixer applet does not have correct behavior

On Sun, 2006-03-19 at 00:16 +0100, Jaap Haitsma wrote:
> 1. Display mute icon if mute button is active
> 2. Show volume level if mute is not active.

This is basically the same thing I said in my last mail,
which was to remove the special casing of 0, and make it
use the -low volume icon. In other words, to revert to the
example in your first mail, we should do this:

volume(x)       Icon
----------------------
mute            mute
  0 <= x < 1/3  low
1/3 <= x < 2/3  medium
2/3 <= x < 3/3  high

The stock_volume-0 icon will exist no longer in 2.15 anyway,
and the others will be renamed to follow the naming spec. To
resolve the issue in 2.14, one should use the old icon names
as the applet still does, but optimize in the case where one
of those may be going away. We can stop using -0 now, so I
see no reason not to. I would much rather not have this exact
same discussion again in another 5-6 months. Simply stating
that -low would be confusing because it has a single ) for 0%
is just as well as saying it is confusing for other very low
volume percentage levels where the user may not be able to
hear any audible output from the speakers. Just use -low.

-- dobey