[Usability] Consistency Issue between EOG and gThumb

Dear All,

I am a long time GNOME user (but not a developer) and occasional reader of
this mailing list.  This is my first post though.

I have a small usability/consistency issue, which, though rather trivial, is
something of a "pet hate" for me.  On playing with Fedora Core 6 Test 1 last
night, I saw it is still present in the GNOME development build 2.15.2, so I
thought I would raise it with you.

If the user opens a graphic in gThumb and maximises it to "Full Screen" view
(F11) and then zooms in (+ key) they can pan around the image using the
cursors.  If they then want to move to the next or previous graphic in the
directory, they can use the Page Up or Page Down keys.  This is all fine, so
far as I am concerned.

Unfortunately, Eye of GNOME (EOG) has somewhat different behaviour, that makes
the two tools inconsistent with each other.  On opening a graphic, switching
to "Full Screen" view and zooming in, the cursors can no longer be used for
panning around.  Instead, pressing the up, down, left or right cursors switch
the user to the previous or next graphic in the directory.  Panning must be
done with the mouse instead of keyboard shortcuts.

My preference would definitely be that EOG be modified so that the cursors are
used for panning, not for moving forwards and backwards between graphics.

I have a few other questions not necessarily related to usability but I
thought I would raise them.  I am aware of the legal/patent concerns around
playing regionally-encrypted DVDs in some nations such as the US.  I normally
download the rpms for Xine, including the deCSS one and use that which works
fine.  However, having installed DeCSS on my system, I still cannot use Totem
as my player.  Does Totem need to be recompiled? It would be good to modify
the application so that simply installing DeCSS would enable Totem to locate
it as a plug-in, thus making the default player usable for those of us in
countries without these legal issues by simply adding this one file.

Secondly, I am quite intrigued by Project Soylent but there is little
information with regard to release dates on the website.  Do you have any
indication when we will start seeing the fruits of this labour?  Will it be
in Topaz or in a future 2.x build?

Thirdly, having seen the list of Chabada's suggestions that are currently
being debated on this list, I can affirm that, as  an end user, I would
definitely find all that he has suggested to be of benefit, including extra
file information displayed in Nautilus, the Evolution mail previews and the
use of GNOME Baker as part of the core desktop.  More explanation in
error/information messages regarding why MP3s and the like cannot be played
would also be a benefit in educating users, even if some people do not read
the messages.

Finally, keep up the good work.  I would love to see GNOME gain some more
momentum in terms of adoption by desktop users.  Keep striving for it!

Danni