Re: [Usability] GNOME Applications and the Shell Environment

--- Ross Burton <ross burtonini com> wrote:

> Primary use case for not forking is that it makes it
> trivial to write a
> script that launches a program, user does something
> in it, and then the
> script can continue when the program has exited.  If
> Gedit forked when
> it started I wouldn't be able to use it as $EDITOR
> in cvs commit for
> example.

That's interesting!
Would you care to add a brief note on how to do that
to the wiki, perhaps on
http://live.gnome.org/Sysadmin/CVS/FAQ ?

> [1] In other news this week was the first time I got
> a bug report from a
> Sound Juicer user who when I asked "run SJ in a
> terminal and paste the
> output" asked "what's a terminal?".  Yay non-geek
> users!

Yay indeed!

(Original poster wrote:)
> There are many other silly UNIX conventions that are
a hold back from yesteryears which bite us in the
behind today.

Absolutely. I keep finding some of these, filing bugs
in my ignorance, and then getting told it's meant to
be the way it is.
We need to look at these legacy issues, because there
are simply a pain to non-geek users, and non-geek
contributors too.