Re: [Usability] Using nouns or verbs for the disclosure widgets

On 6 Jun 2006, at 13:01, Sebastian Heinlein wrote:

would you recommend to use a noun for the disclosure widgets e.g.
"Details" or verbs e.g. "Show details"/"Hide details"?

Hmm... out if interest I looked at the Apple guidelines, and it said that verbs were preferred, then illustrated the guideline with an example using a noun :) Seems like it's not just our HIG that has that kind of problem...

http://developer.apple.com/documentation/UserExperience/Conceptual/ OSXHIGuidelines/XHIGControls/chapter_18_section_7.html#//apple_ref/ doc/uid/TP30000359-TPXREF141

Personally, I've always labelled disclosure widgets in the same way I'd label a frame, i.e. with a noun (but without the bold text, of course). The direction of the arrow, in conjunction with the presence or absence of controls below it, seems sufficient to indicate the current shown/hidden status IMHO. And dynamically changing text is never much fun for screenreaders to keep up with either.

There is no corresponding section in the HIG.

Yeah, that placeholder's been there a while :/ I really want to get stuck into the HIG post-GUADEC (assuming I'm not one of Sun's unlucky 5000....)

Cheeri,
Calum.

mailto:calum benson sun com            Java Desktop System Team