Re: [Usability] Save Icon

On 1/31/06, Evandro Giovanini <efgiovanini gmail com> wrote:

> And it's not an
> accusation, it's just my opinion.

As a side note: The two concepts are not mutually exclusive.

> > > The solution they found for the problem was a bad one, because it
> > > affected some people in a negative way. People that would otherwise not
> > > be confused.
> >
> > It affected other people in a positive way.
>
>  But they could have affected  these people in a positive way without
> affecting anyone in a negative way, like I suggested. Instead of creating a
> Go button, simply add a tooltip for these people.

A tooltip would have annoyed other people: Me for instance...it feels
like clippy
"I see you've typed a URL...if you press enter, then it might actually
do something"

> > > Making computers easy for people with zero computer experience and zero
> > > interest in computers is a very good goal to have because it will lead
> > > to better design decisions that benefit *everyone*
> >
> > This goal sounds very very very similar to the goal Microsoft had when
> > they added the evil Go button do you not think?
>
>  The Go button:
>
>  1) makes life easier for some people (the example you mentioned), and;

The Go button made "computers easy for people with zero computer
experience and zero interest in computers". This was your premise of
how to make better design decisions.

>  2) makes the user experience more annoying for some people (point and click
> a small button instead of just pressing Enter after typing a URL with they
> keyboard).

Are these people "annoyed"? Do they actually care that they are doing
it the less efficient way?

>  When they could just make life easier for some people with a tooltip
> instead of a button.

Which as I've pointed out would have made the user experience more
annoying for some people...

iain