Re: [Usability] Save Icon

On 1/31/06, Evandro Fernandes Giovanini <efgiovanini gmail com> wrote:

> Maybe I shouldn't have used the word "wrong", but it certainly has
> problems.

Everything has problems "highness, anyone who tells you different is
lying or selling something"

> My biggest gripe with some toolbar buttons is that they can actually
> makes it harder to use the desktop, even if it is easier to get to using
> the mouse.

You're now throwing accusations like "harder to use" without any
backup. Remember: Less efficient does not mean harder to use.

> > > Sounds interesting. However, let me give an example: Internet Explorer
> > > has a "Go" button next to the URL bar. It turns out some people will
> > > actually move their hands to the mouse after typing an URL, then point
> > > and click at the button (instead of just hitting 'Enter'). You could say
> > > the "Go" button makes people less productive, but in better words it
> > > just makes their computer experience worse and more tiring. The problem
> > > is that grandmas don't realize that, and they'll do what the interface
> > > is leading them to do.
> >
> > The thing you're missing about this is that the Go button was actually
> > a solution to a specific problem: People often typed the url in
> > without pressing the enter key and sat waiting for something to
> > happen.
> >
> > For those people, adding the Go button made their computer experience
> > infinitely better, finally their fancy whizzbang program did
> > something.
> >

> The solution they found for the problem was a bad one, because it
> affected some people in a negative way. People that would otherwise not
> be confused.

It affected other people in a positive way.

> Making computers easy for people with zero computer experience and zero
> interest in computers is a very good goal to have because it will lead
> to better design decisions that benefit *everyone*

This goal sounds very very very similar to the goal Microsoft had when
they added the evil Go button do you not think?

iain