Re: [Usability] Save Icon

> No, what I'm saying is that doing the wrong thing because someone (in
> this case, Microsoft) made it popular is not a good idea.

In no way is it "the wrong thing"

It could be argued that it is easier to get to the toolbar button than
it is to the edit menu item, so we should maybe remove the menu item
instead.

And then, its easier and more productive to use the right click
context menu, so really we should remove both the toolbar and and menu
items.

> Sounds interesting. However, let me give an example: Internet Explorer
> has a "Go" button next to the URL bar. It turns out some people will
> actually move their hands to the mouse after typing an URL, then point
> and click at the button (instead of just hitting 'Enter'). You could say
> the "Go" button makes people less productive, but in better words it
> just makes their computer experience worse and more tiring. The problem
> is that grandmas don't realize that, and they'll do what the interface
> is leading them to do.

The thing you're missing about this is that the Go button was actually
a solution to a specific problem: People often typed the url in
without pressing the enter key and sat waiting for something to
happen.

For those people, adding the Go button made their computer experience
infinitely better, finally their fancy whizzbang program did
something.

And the discoverability of pressing enter after typing a URL is
probably less than finding the popup menu for the paste item...
iain