Re: [Usability] GNOME need a big usability update

On Sun, 5 Feb 2006, Armand CORBEAUX wrote:

> Date: Sun, 5 Feb 2006 01:59:18 +0100
> From: Armand CORBEAUX <acorbeaux gmail com>
> To: Alan Horkan <horkana maths tcd ie>
> Cc: usability gnome org
> Subject: Re: [Usability] GNOME need a big usability update
>
> I'm explained who I am at the beginning of my post :)

I was hoping for more detail than:  "I am consultant as councils for the
direction of companies, in all spheres of activities."

That could mean a lot of things.  If you had any academic qualifications I
suppose you would have mentioned them?

Your very formal choice of words was also confusing.

> I'm neither a developer or a programmer, just a GNOME user.

It will be more difficult to make progress if you are unable to create
patches and are relying on the goodwill of developers to make your
changes.

> Now if you wish to know which kind of desktop envrionment I've tried,
> the exhausive list might be: Windows, GNOME, KDE, XFCE, WindowMaker,
> BeOS, fvwm and several others.
>
> Now as I've explained before I wish to contribute on ergonomic study.

That would be great.   More analysis would be useful.

> One of my targets is also to remove unused menus entries, duplicated buttons
> and duplicated actions.
>
> The more exhaustive is a desktop or application , the less user feels lost
> in space.

With studies and analysis to backup your suggestions developer will
certianly be more likely to take your suggestions on board but I had to
warn you not to get your hopes up.

- Alan H.