Re: [Usability] Bug: Applications appearing on other desktops than started

On Sun, 2006-08-20 at 21:18 -0600, Elijah Newren wrote:
> On 8/20/06, Martin Ejdestig <marejde gmail com> wrote:
> > There's already infrastructure there to accomplish exactly what you are
> > asking for. If you find a GNOME app that misbehaves, file a bug against
> > it at http://bugzilla.gnome.org .
>
> It is almost as likely to be a bug in the application launcher as it
> is in the application itself.  If the application is not launched with
> startup-notification, the WM has no clue where the app was launched
> from and only knows what the current workspace is when the application
> finally maps its window.

The bug should still be filed against the app assuming the launcher
that comes with it is used and is missing StartupNotify=true. ;)

> The fix, for apps that aren't single-instance only:
>   1) The app has to support startup-notification (any
> non-single-instance apps using gtk+ automatically do)
>   2) Make sure the app is launched with startup-notification
> ("StartupNotify=true" in the .desktop file)
>
> The fix, for apps that are single-instance only:
>   1) Use lots of nasty code and hacks to make sure the application
> supports startup-notification (even if the app is built on gtk+) OR
> use Vytas' new single-instance library
> (http://live.gnome.org/SingleInstanceApps) to take care of the
> single-instance handling of the app
>   2) Make sure the app is launched with startup-notification
> ("StartupNotify=true" in the .desktop file)

I had a vague notion of what needed to be done. Thanks for the details.
I've also been following Vytas' work from a distance. A GNOME Goal
candidate for sure... when he's done that is. :)

That it doesn't work when launched from a terminal and custom launchers
where StartupNotify=true is left out can be quite confusing. Is there a
reason why there ain't a function in GTK+ apps could call at startup
that would have the same effect as StartupNotify=true in .desktop files?
(I still haven't look at the details so bear with me. ;)

Martin
--
http://coiley.zapto.org/~martin