Re: [Usability] Bug: Applications appearing on other desktops than started

(Sorry for the dup Hynek...)

On Sun, 2006-08-20 at 21:05 +0300, Hynek Hanke wrote:
> I'm using 4 virtual desktops (if this is not the correct term, please
> let  me know) in my Gnome 2.14. When I start an application in one
> desktop, it takes some time to start the application and in the
> meantime, I switch to another desktop, the application will start
> on that different desktop and I have to manually move it back.

Some apps get this right. Gedit, Gnome Terminal, etc.

> This gets especially annoying if the application issues some dialogs
> before it actually starts (like galeon after-crash dialog, which I see
> quite regularly by the way) and the application doesn't appear, so
> I have to go through my desktops and look for the lost dialog to click
> ok...
>
> This is a bug. The application should appear where it was executed, not
> on some random place determined by the time it takes to actually start
> it, the power of my CPU, my action afterwards and other side-effects.

It most certainly is a bug.

> I'm posting it here since it is largely a usability bugin hope that
> somebody with a better understanding of Gnome will fill it and push it
> at the appropriate places.

There's already infrastructure there to accomplish exactly what you are
asking for. If you find a GNOME app that misbehaves, file a bug against
it at http://bugzilla.gnome.org .

Martin
--
http://coiley.zapto.org/~martin