Re: [Usability] A (rather long) list of GNOME usability issues

On 17 Oct, 2005, at 11:50 AM, Owen Williams wrote:

On Mon, 2005-10-17 at 13:30 +0300, Tuomas Kuosmanen wrote:

Another thing I have been pondering about lately is the "passthru" click to raise windows - some wm's used to have this as an option years ago - and I think Mac OS X does this too. What I mean is that if you click to raise a window, that click does not do anything in the program itself.

This is an application of Fitts Law. It's much quicker to bring a window to the front by clicking *anywhere* in it than by carefully finding a spot that doesn't have any controls in it.

In Mac OS, it's up to the app developer: a click can either raise the window (the normal behavior), raise the window and do something (exceptional, and therefore given the name "clickthrough"), or do something and *not* raise the window. In Mac OS Classic, pretty much the only example of clickthrough was the Launcher <http://www.bethel.edu/its/is/teaching-technology/serveraccess/images/ OS9/launcherwindow.gif> (even title bar close/grow/rollup buttons didn't allow clickthrough), but in OS X it's much more common.

Ideally, this allows optimization to particular use cases. For example, the iTunes mini player controls can be used without bringing the player window to the front, which saves time. And the usual case of just raising the window makes switching between windows much easier.

Similarly in Windows it's up to the app developer: for example, clicking in a background Microsoft Word or Excel window will raise the window but not change the selection. Hardly anybody notices this, though, because in Windows people usually have productivity app windows maximized.

This is a horrible feature in my opinion.  I'm the IT department at an
all-mac office, and I watch carefully when people use their computers.
I've noticed that people will click on a button in a window, and then
get momentarily confused when nothing happens.  This is because the
window is being "raised" even if it is on a different monitor than the
current raised window and has no other windows anywhere near it.  This
behavior trains users to double-click everything, because sometimes the first click doesn't "catch."

Clickthrough is a mess in Mac OS X (hence my use of "ideally" above), from a combination of poor implementation and arbitrary design decisions. Programs are supposed to make non-clickthrough controls in background windows look insensitive (which has the added benefits of making the active window more obvious and background windows less distracting); but sometimes they don't, especially if they don't use native controls (e.g. Firefox and Thunderbird). That's the cause of the problem described above. Similarly, some Cocoa controls -- such as toolbars and scrollbars -- have clickthrough by default while their Carbon counterparts don't; and in the case of scrollbars, unlike GTK vs. Qt, it's not visually obvious which toolkit a program uses.

GTK could implement clickthrough-off-by-default much more consistently than Carbon+Cocoa have, but to be understandable it would need to be implemented for XUL and Gecko too, because so many GTK-using OSes feature Firefox and/or Thunderbird prominently.

--
Matthew Paul Thomas
http://mpt.net.nz/