Re: [Usability] A (rather long) list of GNOME usability issues

On Sat, 2005-10-15 at 00:06 +0200, Christian Neumair wrote:

> > Problem: There is no undo.
> >
> > Calum Benson isn't happy about it either perhaps some people need to
> > come up with clear plans and help a developer implement it.  again an
> > issue which should be discussed with the nautilus developers.
>
> Rename undo doesn't seem too heavy, undoing a move or copy operation
> that involves many folders and changes to the source/target directory in
> a clean fashion sounds way harder. I'm interested in whether you want a
> global undo (for all windows), or whether each window undo history
> should be treated separately. What if you close a window?

Yep, Undo is hard, it really needs to be designed in from the beginning.

Rename, copy/duplicate, link, move, and delete (to trash) are the main
things you'd expect a file manager to be able to Undo.

Finder on the Mac will happily undo all of those things.  It treats all
file manager windows as part of the same application, so changes in any
window will be undone, whether it has since been closed or not.  It
doesn't have any history, though, you can only undo/redo the last
operation.  Windows behaves much the same way, IIRC.

Cheeri,
Calum.

mailto:calum benson sun com            Java Desktop System Group