Re: [Usability] A (rather long) list of GNOME usability issues

On Fri, 2005-10-14 at 22:31 +0100, Alan Horkan wrote:
> (Not) Raising Windows (on DND)
>
>   no idea

This might actually be a good thing - we'd need to ponder this a bit of
course to make sure we dont miss some other issue this might cause, but
in general it does not sound like a bad behaviour to me at the first
glance. You can still raise windows just by clicking.

Another thing I have been pondering about lately is the "passthru" click
to raise windows - some wm's used to have this as an option years ago -
and I think Mac OS X does this too. What I mean is that if you click to
raise a window, that click does not do anything in the program itself.
This is most evident with the Gimp for example - you have several
windows open, and you click to raise one of them. Oops, better not have
a drawing tool selected to do that..

Then again, these two make an interesting problem together when a user
has click to focus..! Argh. Ideas? Can we capture a "click" but let
"user drags folder from window" go through? Is this at all possible?

>   add more detail.  (I've always liked how on the Mac you could drag
>   objects out of the browser straight onto the desktop.)

You can do this on Linux too with a recent firefox. It's nice.

>   impolitely suggesting he leave hidden files hidden).  I'm not even going
>   to start on people using their Home directory as their desktop and then
>   complaining about it.

Heh. This year I wont start a flamewar on this. Now that we have the
a-lot-nicer-than-before fileselector
that-still-has-issues-but-they-will-be-fixed-so-lets-not-get-into-it-here, it's a lot easier to get to the Desktop, and it is not a dot-directory, I stopped doing the home-as-desktop. It was a good transition period for me, but not needed much lately. Besides, I have started to save everything over sftp:// to my fileserver anyway. Works nicely globally.

//Tuomas